How To: Messy Ballerina Bun

8.18.2013


I am loving the sock bun craze that everyone is following right now, Its a quick fix that makes you look like you made an effort that morning. It has taken me a while to get into it as the only times I normally wear my hair up is first thing when I get home from work and I throw my hair up in a top knot and change into my pyjamas - anyone else do this? 

Now, Im not a fan of sock buns that are neat and tidy, its a look that just doesn't suit me. However I have found that you can create a messy bun using a hair donut, a casual and laid back look that is perfect for everyday.  a little tip - to dress up a messy bun you can wrap a few flowers around the base! Perfect for you festival goers this summer!

Heres how you achieve this look, to start you need a hairbrush, bobby pins, a hair tie and a hair donut.



1. I started by brushing my hair out to get rid of any knots and tangles and applied a texturing powder to the roots to give my hair some volume. This look works best on second day hair, so you'll need to backcomb your hair or apply some texturising powder or mouse to give your hair some grip.  

2. Backcomb the roots of your hair if needed and gather your hair into a pony tail at the crown of your head and secure with a hair tie. Try and keep the pony tail loose and relaxed.

3. Thread your donut through the pony tail and down to the base of your pony tail.

4. Backcomb the hair gathered in your pony tail to make it look a bit more messy and smooth the hair over and around the donut so the hair completely covers it.


5. Once your hair has covered all of the donut you can start wrapping the ends of your hair around the base of the donut and use the bobby pins to keep it all in place. Its best to use bobby pins all around the base of the bun to keep all of the hair in place and to stop it falling out during the day.

6. Once your bun is securely in place and you are happy with how it looks you can start to messy it up a little to relax the look. Hold your bun in place and gently tug at the hair around the base of the pony tail and pull out the baby hairs around the nape of your neck and a few around the hair line to frame your face. 



If you are happy with how the bun looks leave it as it is and spritz a bit of hairspray all over your head to keep it all in place. 

If you want to dress up the bun you can add flowers or any kind of hair accessory around the base of the bun. This is be perfect for festivals you may be going to this summer or any nights out you have coming up. 


If you try out this look, take a photo and use the hash tag #victoriabeautyy so I can check them out





No comments

Post a Comment

I absolutely love receiving comments from you guys. If you have a blog, please feel more than welcome to leave your URL so I can check it out. However, please refrain to posting links to your giveaways or spamming my comments section. Lets leave this section a place to make friends and discuss the content! x